Featured Directory Listings – Wasted Time Or Worth Their Weight In Gold?
June 23, 2014 - Marketing
Are Featured Directory Listings Really Worth It?Contrary to popular belief, a web directory is not a search engine, as many people that are new to the internet believe. It does not display websites based on keywords. A web directory displays webpages based upon categories and subcategories. A web directory links websites to the category not based from one page but by the overall website. The listing is usually found in a search by people rather than by search engine. Web directories provide categorized links. The difference between a listing and a featured listing is placement and information displayed about the link. A featured listing will be high on the results page and have more detailed information, making it a more desirable link upon which to click.
The Good, the Bad, and the Very UglyThere are good web directories, there are bad directories, and very often, it is hard to spot the difference between the two. The bad web directories are used in link building schemes and are frowned upon by Google and other entities. They give website directories a bad name. When used the right way, the good directories featured listings are a good way to generate traffic for your website, especially in local markets. If your website fronts for a brick and mortar store, your local directories can be a blessing when it comes to generating local traffic. The Niche Directories serve this purpose very nicely and a featured listing in one of these is worth its weight in gold to many websites.
Common Traits of Bad DirectoriesAs we mentioned, there are directories out there that should be avoided like the IRS. These “bad” directories are a complete waste of your time and money. Here are a few good ways to spot bad directories. [custom_list]
- Avoid directories that guarantee placement even if they do not charge a fee. A guaranteed placement is not an editorial link, which means that it will not be worth the time it takes to write. It also means that it will never be worth the time of day so steer clear.
- If the directory to which you are considering signing up to requires a link back to them in order for them to place yours… run in the opposite direction before anyone sees you with them. The worst of these will charge a fee and still demand a back-link to them.
- With directories, it is okay to reach deep into your bag of tricks and pull out an antiquated metric. PageRank, while rarely used is still useful if you want to get a general idea of a website’s health. Any directory that has a PageRank score of four (4) or under carries with it almost no weight and is therefore worthless. The exception to this rule is the “Niche Directory”. A lower PageRank in a niche directory is okay but for general web directories, you will need a five (5) or better in order for the link to be of use.
- Give the directory a good look. Now do a gut check. When you see the link, does it honestly look like a link that would pass traffic on to your website? If you can honestly answer in the affirmative, it may be worth a second look. If not, skip it.
Featured Listings on Local DirectoriesThere are many benefits to local directory listings… especially the featured listings for which you pay a pretty penny. Many webmasters use these even if they are not a local company simply because it generates so much traffic in a localized area. Here are six excellent reasons to be a featured listing in your local niche directory.
- The Competition for your Business is Fierce for Featured Listings
- Local Directories are Hot and Setting Brand New Records Everyday
- Local Directories Improve Reputations
- Google Loves Local Specifics in Business Categories
- Featured Listings in Local Directories Mean Instant Gratification
- Your Competition is Already There