10 Tips to Increase Your Link-Building Efficiency
April 22, 2012 - SEO
Link-building plays a very important role in search engine optimization, specifically in raising page rank. One of the criteria used by search engines to rank a website is its importance. Search engines seemingly associate importance with popularity, measured in incoming links. The more backlinks a site has from other quality sites, the more search engines will regard it as popular or important. Thus, it will have a higher rank in search engine results. Getting backlinks used to be an easy task when the quality of links was unimportant. SEO companies could easily get as many links as necessary from irreputable sites or links harvests. Nowadays, however, search engines consider the quality and relevance of incoming links, and link-building has become a tedious process. Below are 10 useful tips to increase your link-building efficiency:
- Examine the links on your website. Analyze how relevant content is linked together. Remember to use keyword-rich anchor texts when linking to other relevant contents on your website.
- Test all your backlinks for quality and strength. Although quantity is important, make sure that you don’t overlook quality. Focus on building unique and strong backlinks from high quality and trusted websites as these are worth more to search engines than several links from low quality sites.
- Prioritize high quality contents that are performing well. Analyze which contents are your best performers and use them to build quality backlinks. Remove contents that do not receive the desired attention. You can rewrite old articles with a touch of modern perspective or write new, better articles.
- Make sure your contents are social media-friendly. As people now access social media sites on a daily basis, it would be beneficial for you to post new updates in your social media account containing relevant keywords. This is a great way to get more traffic!
- Pay attention to your competitors’ links. This will give you an idea about potential directories or websites where you can link to. You can also learn about the links your competitors lack and get ahead by pursuing inbound links that they don’t have.
- Build links from directories relevant to your industry. Go for trusted directories with quality content that is designed not only for SEO purposes but also to provide real information to internet users. Search engines highly respect these sites and any backlinks originating from them will be valued more.
- Create custom widgets: Customize a widget that delivers information relevant to your business back to your site. Make it easy for others to post the widget on their site and embed a link back to your site.
- Try infographics: Infographics are gaining popularity in link-building. They can go viral in social media sites as people “tweet” about them on Twitter or “like” them on Facebook.
- Monitor your progress regularly. This is very important so you gain a better understanding of whether your link-building efforts are a success or a failure.
- Put someone in-charge of your link-building campaign. Link-building is both resource-intensive and time-consuming, which require focus.